A brief history of West Leake.
Mike Saunders is a well respected local historian who lives in West Leake. He will be providing both text and images to this page in the near future.
The earliest mention of West Leake is in the Domesday book, where it is recorded as 'Leche'. The listing is divided into four holdings which encompass what are today East and West Leake.
The first property listed was held by Henry de Ferrers, ('the Tenant in Chief') with sixteen villagers, sixteen freemen and one priest. It included six ploughlands with twenty-one plough teams, along with comprised of 50 acres of meadows, two furlongs of woodland, a mill and a church. It its entirety, it was valued at the princely sum of £7 in 1086.